Study in Japan

While you study in Japan, you can immerse yourself in the diverse blending of Japanese oriental traditions and modern society. Although Japanese is the official language that is commonly spoken, the Japanese people also do communicate in English. Hence, international students will have to learn Japanese in language institute to be able to enroll in a university/college. You will then be able to further your studies in the areas of science, technology, finance, or any industrial skill you wish to acquire.

Cost of Education for International Students in Japan:

Average tuition fees charged by Japanese institutes for higher education might vary from ¥535,800 (National University) to ¥536,632 (Public University) to ¥390,000 (Junior College). Tuition fees in Japan may comprise of admission fee, tuition fee, facility fee and equipment usage fee in total. Academic fees charged in Japan might be costlier than the charges in the UK or USA. Below is the breakdown of tuition fee charged by private universities/colleges for further studies in Japan:

Bachelor’s Programs: ¥550,000 – ¥4,380,550 per year

Master’s Programs: ¥665,676 – ¥1,229,631 per year

Doctorate Programs: ¥554,991 – ¥1,213,102 per year

*The above cost is only a rough estimation and in no way confirms the fees you might have to pay. Please visit our institution directly to imply about the costs for the course you wish to apply for.

Eligibility for Nepalese Students to Apply for Japanese Universities:

  • References from professors/teachers
  • Proof that you can financially support yourself while studying
  • High school transcripts and/or diplomas completed
  • A valid passport
  • Passport-size photograph

However, all of the above might be dependent on the course you might be applying for. Please contact us for any further questions you might have about the requirements. Once you have decided on your preferred course and institution, submit your Visa Application with the following documents below.

Nepalese students will need to take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students which is different from the usual Japanese exams taken by the locals. This will include academic and language of the Japanese language which are offered twice during the summer and fall. For students applying to courses requiring English language skills, they must take TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) as they are non-native English speakers.

Immigration Procedures for Nepalese Students:

If anyone wishes to enter Japan as an international student to advance their learning should complete the following procedures:

  • Secure admission to a Japanese educational institute
  • All the above documents mentioned for eligibility for an application
  • Acquire a National Health Insurance for migration purpose
  • Acquire a visa at a Japanese Embassy or Consulate in the home country

Work in Australia while you study:

Student visa holders in Japan can only work up to 8 hours in a week and they need to apply for a permit to work part-time. When their university is not in session, they are only permitted to work 8 hours/day. Foreign students are prohibited to work in adult entertainment industries in Japan in bars, etc. Hence, students are required to apply for the Shikakugai Katsudo Kyoka (Permit to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted). The following documents required to apply for the work permit:

  • Passport
  • Residence Card
  • Student ID Card
  • Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted(the form is available at the Immigration Bureau, and can also be downloaded from the Ministry of Justice website)

For students who are involved in activities for educational/research assistants who are on the payroll. Or those who are working under the contract of the university or technical college they are enrolled in. These two exemplary cases will not need to apply for the Shikakugai Katsudo Kyoka.

Scholarships Opportunities for International Students in Japan:

Through the Japanese embassy or consulate, students can apply for the Monbukagakasho (Ministry of Education) scholarships. Almost every Japanese university offers scholarships that often cover tuition, application, housing and living costs. Though the application processes are often extremely competitive, there are some scholarships that cater specifically to foreign and language-exchange students. For more details, please visit us at our head office at Delhi-Bazar.